As the Austin Market continues to grow so do the price of homes! The average price of homes has increased by over 4% in just a couple of months since the new year. Homeowners are
Fall Home Preparation
As Fall approaches there are a few things needed to prepare your home for the cold weather and also normal maintenance. Below is a list of things to do.
1. Drain your water heater. Over time sediment builds up in the bottom of the water heater which will cause corrosion. It is recommended to drain the water heater atleast once per year.
2. Protect your AC Condensate drain lines. Your AC will not be running during the winter. It is recommeded to pour bleach, simple green, or comparable product in the primary condensate drain line.
3. Change your smoke detector batteries. Recommended every 6 months to change the batteries.
4. Protect your hosebibs outside. You can purchase a cover from the local hardware store that fits over the hosebib. Also you can wrap the hosebib using a towel and some tape to hold it in place.
5. Change your HVAC Filters. Depending on the type of filter you have. Some filters need to be changed once a month. Other filters can go as long as 6 months. Get familiar with what you need and set a reminder to change the filter.
6. Clean your dryer duct! This is overlooked most times and can be very expensive if not cared for properly. Disconnect your dryer and clean the duct by using a leaf blower. This will remove most of the lint buildup. In extreme cases you will need to hire a contractor to run a brush throught the duct to clean it.
7. Prepare for the smell of fire! Yes, the first time your furnace turns on it is normal to smell something burning. Don't be alarmed. This is dust buildup on the coil that burns off within a few minutes.
Follow these simple guidelines to keep your home healthy and working as it should.
Butch Gilley is a Real Estate Professional in the Austin and surrounding areas and has helped hundreds of clients find the home of their dreams. After graduating from The University of Louisiana at M....